Friday, September 25, 2009

Talk about accountability!

If you've read the previous posts or know me, you know that food has been my life long addiction.   I struggle with it everyday.  Since being at Mercy Ministries I have learned so much, They helped me get on my two feet again.  Things have been so much better! I ended up loosing close to 50 pounds in my 6 months stay there.  Since being back I proudly can say I have kept it off.  I gained some and lost some so I am fair to say I stayed the same! :) Anyways... I have 2 accountability partners, 1 good friend of mine whom never hesitates to speak the truth to me even when I don't want to hear it.  I love that about her! 2 would be God.  And man alive! He doesn't leave ANYTHING out! He see's everything and knows everything.  So this is a little funny story and an example of how God is my accountability partner.

A couple days ago my work had a campaign kick off event and needless to say... there were cookies. (pastries are my weakness) I was helping out with the event so I was around them a lot.  I tried so hard to not take one.  Unfortunately I gave in and had one cookie.  then 2,3, 4 altogether.  That was a big no-no and I felt so ashamed, guilty and just horrible afterwords.  I was so upset with myself for not having the control to say no and even just have one not four! I was praying the whole way home from work for God to forgive me.  Thankfully He is a forgiving God! Later that night I decided I better read the bible because I hadn't done that in a couple days.  I opened my book up randomly and there was Proverbs.  You know the saying, A Proverbs a day keeps the devil away? or Read the Proverbs of the day! I thought as I saw the book in front of me that I should read the Proverbs of the day.  I flipped it to Proverbs 23 (since it was the 23rd of the month) And low and behold the first verse blew me away!

Proverbs 23:1-3
1 When you sit to dine with a ruler
Note well what is before you,
2 And put a knife to your throat
If you are given to gluttony.
3 Do not crave his delicacies,
For that food is deceptive.

Now some of you are probably wondering, "What! Put a knife to your throat? What!" We obviously can not take this passage literaly because there would be a lot more sucides in this country! What I take it to mean is that well it's really hard to explain... It's better to put a knife to your throat then to lose your soul over gluttony (or sin) I kept thinking... "How do I do that instead of literaly putting a knife to my throat, God?"  Well it came to me the next day.  What better to use the sword of the spirit to cut through sin!?! This verse had just spoke to me in volumes that I don't even know the different volumes it spoke to me.  I just know that it was what I needed.  So the next day we had left over cookies (like 350 cookies) And we had to serve the cookies right.... by....my desk.  I was nervous and scared and then I was reminded of that verse I read. 

I looked it up quick online and printed it out nice and big and taped it below my monitor at work.  Everytime I was tempted I looked and read that verse staring at me.  It worked so well I didn't have any cookies that day and I had a salad for lunch! It's amazing! I have that verse everywhere now.. Even on my phone so I can look it up on the go and be reminded that food can be deceptive and I should not crave it's delicacies!

God is so amazing! He just gave me what I needed at the time I most needed it! He is a great accountability partner! I have felt so much of Him this week that it's just unfathomable.  I love having a Daddy that knows everything and loves me so much to put me back on my two feet again in my weakest of times. 

"Thank you Lord, for everything.  May You be glorified in everything I do because You alone are worthy of all my praise.  I love you so much, Father."

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me Kelley! I love watching our God at work through you! Thanks for sharing where he is present in your day-to-day.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete