Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Polar Express


I think that the Polar Express is one of those movies that I just can not watch.  Maybe I am crazy, I probably am, but that movie bugs me to no end.  I'll tell you why. 

I hope that by saying this, I don't sound like a typical "critical christian." If I do, you'll have to forgive me.  :)

The main reason why, to put it bluntly is I don't believe in santa clause and I believe with all my heart in Jesus Christ.  For me, it hurts me to see that kids are believing in something that isn't real, will never be real, will never be a belief that can truly help them, and makes them forget the true meaning of Christmas.  This whole movie is about believing in santa clause, normally I can handle that but with this movie, if you replace the words Santa Clause with Jesus Christ, you have a movie that basically shows the principles of Christianity.  This is soooo hard to explain. 

Take for instance here, this is a quote from the movie, "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."  That is soooo true if we say it in reference to Jesus, but they are saying it about santa clause.



Here is another quote from the movie.  This is such a powerful statement as well, its a reason why some choose to not believe in Jesus. (again this is in reference to santa clause)

Hobo: What exactly is... is your persuasion on the Big Man, since you brought him up?
The Boy: Well, I... I want to believe... but...
Hobo: But you don't want to be bamboozled. You don't want to be led down the primrose path! You don't want to be conned or duped. Have the wool pulled over your eyes. Hoodwinked! You don't want to be taken for a ride. Railroaded!
[Hobo puts out fire with the joe]
Hobo: Seeing is believing. Am I right?

To me, Jesus is just so important and valuable to our daily existence that to try and persuade someone into believing into something false and take away from God just hurts me. 

Maybe I am just looking at this in the wrong perspective.  Maybe I need to look at it as a movie that has a lot of Christian principles and references.  Who knows? My mind is open to exploration, but its not open to believing in santa clause.  :D

Anybody have any thoughts on this, I would love to see them! Leave a comment. 


3 comments:

  1. Okay, I have a lot of thoughts, but not sure how to voice them???

    -Narnia. LOVE the books/movies about Narnia. Narnia doesn't talk about God, but (we all know C. S. Lewis was a very devout Christian) we see things incorporated all throughout the movie. It's the same thing as the Polar Express.

    -Harry Potter. I freakin' love Harry Potter, no matter how much Mercy (and a lot of other Christians, for that matter) dislikes that. My point in saying this is, while I absolutely love the books/movies, it doesn't mean I BELIEVE them. I know the Truth, as do you. We don't need a movie to tell us what we should believe.

    -Innocence. Childhood is all about innocence. We teach the children to believe in things like Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc. Not many people look at a lot of these things as Christian holidays, because us humans have taken away the true meaning. But,... think of it as kind of "good publicity." While people have tried to take "Christ" out of "Christmas," think about how much more God/Jesus is really spoken about around Christmas... and Easter, for that matter.

    -I don't believe in Santa. Although, when I first moved in with my mom (I was 12), up until I was 14 I made my mom THINK I did (I knew the truth around 9, maybe?) so I could get extra presents! But, I love the idea of Santa, ya know?! Not as a person, but as a character, as what he is. Santa is a good story! I mean, a big jolly man bringing people presents and joy! I mean, man! What kid wouldn't want to believe in something like that?

    -We teach what we believe. A lot of parents WILL tell their kids the story of Santa up until a certain age. However, they will also tell them the Truth. People who really are devout Christians, they will show their children the Truth, and the REAL meaning behind Christmas. Like, my aunt always went along with the "Santa thing," but on Christmas she always baked a cake that had "Happy Birthday, Jesus!" written on it.

    I know that this was quite a ramble and probably redundant... but... hope it helps!

    Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a lot of good points there Kerry. I really appreciate the input!

    I do however have a couple questions in regards to a couple things you've mentioned.

    1: "I absolutely love the books/movies, it doesn't mean I BELIEVE them. I know the Truth, as do you. We don't need a movie to tell us what we should believe."
    I totally agree with you. But I guess I keep thinking of the kids who don't have anything to believe, They may not know the truth so I guess I kind of think about them. A lot of people look everywhere to find what it is they do believe. But that is also very general. I'm definitaly not saying that all movies should be about Jesus and nothing else. I guess whether we like it or not Santa Clause is everywhere at this time of season. We are allowed to talk about Santa but we are not allowed to talk about Jesus. I don't really know where I am going with this! :)

    2: "Santa is a good story! I mean, a big jolly man bringing people presents and joy! I mean, man! What kid wouldn't want to believe in something like that?"
    But doesn't Jesus do that? You know? He may not be big? but He's definitely jolly, brings presents and joy and so much more.

    I think I must be bitter about the Santa Story! I'll need some Joyce Meyer after this! :)

    Hey!! Give me a call sometime and maybe we can talk more about this! (preferebly in the evening) It'll be fun to hear some more of your thoughts! I may not be as good of a debater as Jenn but I can try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand your point on the being allowed to talk about Santa but not about Jesus. It really annoys me-- especially the "HAPPY HOLIDAYS!" instead of "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" It really erks me. But, one of the "great" things about this country is our freedom. People have the freedom to not want to believe in something. Although, this country was founded on the principals of Christianity.... but, as I said, we have our freedom... and I respect that. All I can do is pray that others find their way to the Truth!

    As for calling you... well, I can call you today, although... my voice is pretty out of wack since I've been sick. I completely lost it yesterday, but it's half-baked back now! Although, I don't have my cell anymore, so I don't know your number.... and I'd have to call off of my mom's, but I'd have to wait until 9pm, although, that would be 8pm your time?

    Just shoot me your number, and we'll work it out. :)

    ReplyDelete