Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Humble Daniel


God is so seriously amazing. He has become alive in me again! I love Him so much!


I don't know why but I felt the need to start this blog of by saying that. Praise God for all He has done! He deserves all the glory!

Well anyways back to what I was going to write. I was reading the bible the other night. I felt it my goal to strive to actually "Study" the bible instead of just reading it. This I admit is one of my faults. I read the bible like its a story book with no meaning. Well I earnestly tried this time to look inside the lines, what is it that God might be saying? What are some new and exciting things that I can find in a story I've heard so many times?

Well I found it intriguing to maybe read the story of Daniel. I only got through 2 chapters but, it's the thought that counts! :) I've always heard of people saying that they pray to God before they open up their bible and study. You know, a prayer that asks God to keep my mind, eyes, and heart open to whatever it is He might be teaching me. Well I decided to do that this time. After which, I started to read Daniel, Chapter 1.

"In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim..."

It started out as normal, it felt like I was just reading, but I wanted so badly to not just read the story, so I started reading lines repeatedly. Well I was at the point in Daniel 2 where the King couldn't find anyone to interpret his alarming dream he had. He had searched but no one could answer. He eventually decided to put to death all the dream interpreters in the land because he was so mad, and impatient I might add! Anyways.. Here is Daniel, who has just been told that he will be killed along with his friends. You'll know them, it's Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego! :) Daniel prays to God to have mercy on them and God reveals the mystery to Daniel. What I find so intriguing is that Daniel didn't go to the King right away bouncing like a gleeful little boy! "I solved it! I solved it! I can interpret your dream!" He praised God right there! about 3-4 paragraphs worth! A lot of times we have been given something by God and we tend to forget to thank Him.

I continued to read. When he met with the King, The king had asked him if he could interpret his dream for him? Now this is what caught my eye the most. This is Daniel's response...

"27 Daniel replied, "No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, 28 but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. He has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in days to come. Your dream and the visions that passed through your mind as you lay on your bed are these..." (Daniel 2:27-28)

And Daniel goes on to reveal the mystery of the king's dream. Again look at this, Daniel made no mention of himself, He told the king flat out, God revealed this to me, I had nothing to do with this. It is not possible for a man to interpret this dream.  Only God can.  Now I can't know for sure but if it was me, "Hey king, haha! you know that dream you've been talkin bout, yeah the one "Everyone" has been trying to figure out? Haha yeah well, I figured it out. Yup I did. So is there a reward or something? Do I get a free house or stack of gold? Anything?" Okay so I wouldn't have been that cocky but you get the point. Daniel was so humble! When he told the king his mystery, he humbled himself by giving all of the credit to God. In the end, the king knew that the God of Israel was better than all of the other gods.

Humility is such a powerful thing, yet such a hard thing to come by. When we humble ourselves, God can use us in such a mighty way. I pray God humbles me. This whole pride issue with me is a road block that must be overcome. I want to be used by God!

1 comment:

  1. I have never looked at this "story" in the way you have mentioned above. Awesome insight, Kelley!

    ReplyDelete