Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Servant's Heart

I was quite bored yesterday...while my phone and iPod were on vacation at my house, and me at work with no work, you can see the situation can't you? :) By lunch time I was going crazy. I was thinking I would just chug around Target to try and cure my boredom for my lunch hour. I didn't really want to though. On the way to Target I noticed Half Price Books and have been curious to check it out for a long time so I put on my blinker and went in the turning lane to get into the parking lot. Needless to say, I found like 5 books for only $17!! Yay!! 3 Mary Higgins Clark books, $1 each!! (oh yes! Bring on the murder mysteries!), 1 John Bevere book, Driven by Eternity. (I missed out when my church did it), and one that I was particularly interested in, a Charles Swindoll book called David: A Man of Passion & Destiny. I think the name David just caught my eye considering I am reading 1 Samuel right now. I was too excited to read it that I read the first chapter at work...(I know, I know) But MAN! What a first chapter that was! There was so much in there that spoke to me. One that spoke to me so much that I thought I would share this with you. This next paragraph is in reference to the 3 qualities David had, The first was spirituality, humility(servant hood), and integrity.

"It should also be noted that servant doesn't care who gets the glory. Remember that. A servant has one great goal, and that is to make the person he serves look better, to make that person even more successful. A servant does not want the person he serves to fail. A servant doesn't care who gets the glory, just so the job gets done." (Charles Swindoll, David: A Man of Passion & Destiny)
Wow. Just Wow. Here we are called to be God's servant and sometimes we expect God to serve us! That's not what we are on earth for. I know I have to reevaluate my thoughts and habits to better serve my God. If that paragraph doesn't make us want to stop thinking of ourselves and think of God, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment