Thursday, April 22, 2010

Alpha

Last night was amazing and as they had fore-warned, utterly powerful. The session was about the open question, "Why did Jesus Die?" Pastor Tom displayed an awe-inspiring message that gripped many people by the heart. I love especially the figure he presented and how even though Jesus gave us a bridge to cross the Great Divide, it is still up to us to choose whether to walk across it or reject God entirely and stay where it "seems" comfortable. One of the things that most affected me was the story of Jesus's last words on the cross. "My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me?" Ever since I can remember I always wondered why He said that. It didn't make sense to me. I had in my mind that God never forsake Jesus! I'll bet He was right there with him. Why would He have forsaken him? Wouldn't Jesus being without sin have known that? But now it all make complete and perfect sense. On that cross, Jesus, being completely perfect and sinless, chose to die the most brutal death in history, a crucifixion, so that we the sinners would not have to die for our sins. It's clearly stated in the Bible, "The wages of sin is death" (Romans 8:23) The truth is, even if we had never sinned except one little lie, we still deserved to die. We deserved to be on that cross, not Jesus. When he was up there, Jesus created a perfect spotless lamb, himself, as the sacrifice for our sins. He took all of the whole population's sin on his own shoulders that day. Because of this tremendous act of Mercy, God, Jesus's daddy, was up there in Heaven and had to look away at His own son because now he had "sin", OUR sin. God is so holy and pure that He can not look at sin or even be near it. So He had to look away even at His son's most crucial and trying time in his life. Talk about rejection. Rejection from fellow humans is well hardly nothing compared to the rejection of God. No wonder Jesus cried out, "My God! My God! Why have your forsaken me!" It breaks my heart. I could never imagine. I admit that I wished Jesus didn't die for us, we don't deserve this Love and Mercy He provides. It's hard to think of someone you love so much dying in your place, but not just dying, completely tortured beyond recognition. I can't imagine being in God's place and seeing my own son brutally murdered by the ones He came down to save. Love, Love. If you've ever wondered what love looked like. THAT, is it. You know what free's me? Now that the sin in our lives have been taken care of, God doesn't look at us anymore as sinners. He see's us as daughters and sons, perfect, bought and paid for, forgiven and free'd. He doesn't look at the sin that we constantly make. It helps so much that He doesn't dwell on my sin, but He forgives it and throws it out the back window and forgets it. He now only see's who we are and who we are meant to be, and not who we were and what we've done. I feel so.... valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment