Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gay vs. Christian Debate

My church's sermon last week talked about homosexuality and what the bible has to say about it.  The sermon was tying into the series of Unbiblical Animals - Cows and Elephants in the Room.  (Or open concerns that no one talks about) I have to say, last Sunday's sermon was the best.  I can't tell you how much people are hurting due to Christianity's passing judgements on homosexuals.  It really hurts me to see that.  Pastor Andrew Vargas was the preacher last Sunday and may I say, did a phenomenal job.  This is no easy subject to preach about but he got across the point -- Homosexuality is a sin, but it is no worse a sin then saying a little white lie.  Somehow Christians have come to believe that being gay is the most unfathomable sin and your going to go to hell for even thinking about it.  How can they be any worse then I am? I have sins, I'm human! The bible clearly says, "for ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23).   By those standards, I should be going to hell, everyone should be going to hell.  But it's only by God's amazing grace that you or I can be saved.  We need to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. 

I want to reference the verses Pastor referenced to show that in fact, the bible does say homosexuality is a sin:
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."  1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or you can also check out these verses as well that Pastor gave:
- Genesis 2:24
- Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13
- Mark 10:6-9
- Romans 1:24-31
- 1 Timothy 1:9-10

To me, homosexuality is the same level of sin as me eating away my problems.  I'm committing gluttony which the bible also says is a sin.  I struggle everyday to overcome those temptations of eating.  Thankfully God has been helping me.  One day at a time He is there so I can learn.   

To those of you out there who struggle with homosexuality.  I sincerely apologize.  Sincerely apologize for judging you, for looking at you differently, and for not seeing past your sins and loving the sinner.  After all, I am a sinner too.  My wish is to be loved also, so why shouldn't I love you?  I've changed.  I want you to know, I love you no matter what you do.  Please forgive me.  I know this doesn't make it right for my actions, and I am really sorry, but my honest heart cry is that you'll forgive me for hurting you. 

If you want to check out Pastor's sermon regarding this, follow the link below.



2 comments:

  1. I didn't get to hear his sermon, but I'm so glad that someone stepped up and told the church what it needed to hear (and I mean the universal Church, not just CVC). I'm including myself in that--it's something I just covered in a class and it completely opened my eyes to the way I've approached homosexuality with nothing but judgment and condemnation.

    ReplyDelete