Friday, October 14, 2011

Times of Trial

Life, just like earth, has it's seasons.  They come and go.  Some are bad, some are good, some are there to just give you some breathing room for the tough seasons you are yet to face.  Seasons are good as they require you to always be on your feet, ready and guarded for the new changes life throws at you.

Here's a little of what I am experiencing.  I have now been unemployed for 2 weeks.  I've been hearing horror stories on the radio of people who are getting jobs after being unemployed for over a year and a half.  I cringe at the thought.  My story doesn't require that long of a wait, I prayerfully request! 2 week's has it's ups and downs.  Amazingly through God's grace, these past two weeks have been a refresher for me.  A refresher from what? I honestly have no clue.  My job at American Family was my favorite job I have ever encountered.  I loved working there, I woke up in the morning for the first time feeling excitement and peace to go to work.   I didn't care if it was Friday, or if it was Monday.  I just went to work.  To say that it's actually been quite refreshing to be home is confusing for me.

Being unemployed to say the least, is not financially feasible for me.  Seeing as though I am the single breadwinner of the household.  I am the only one who can provide income to pay my bills.  Being a temp, which is what I was at AmFam, allows no benefits. That means no nice unemployment package from the Government.  My last paycheck was my last source of income, but the bills, they don't care about that.  They come every month like that annoying bird who chirps at your window every morning at 6:00 AM.

Job progress has been fast and slow at the same time.  The waiting game definitely plays out in this instance.  I've had 3 hopeful permanent positions, 2 that I am still in the running for.  I was shocked to receive word that I didn't get the other job.  This was a job for some reason, I let myself believe I was really going to get.  It was so shocking to the point where I laughed and said to God, "Okay! It's in your hands! I have no clue what to do now.  You MUST have a plan."

You see, I was told a month and a half in advance of my last day at AmFam.  This graciously allowed me a solid amount of time to find another job before I lose mine.  I received word that I didn't get the position when I only had a week left to work.  When I didn't get that job, that meant I would be like a sailboat out on the water with no wind.  That meant, I actually had no plan of a future job, a future income to fall back on.  That meant, that for some reason, God had a different plan.  That meant, I have to have faith and actually trust that God will provide.  I've been telling my friends, I'm not worried.  Truth be told, I'm not.  God is bigger than I can ever imagine, He's known about my unemployment since the beginning of time.  He's already got a solution that is going to come to play at the exact precise and perfect moment.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God will provide in whatever shape possible so that when those bills come, and money has run dry, that somehow I will have the means to pay for them.  I personally believe that means a job will become available, a job that I will love, at the perfect time so that my first paycheck will cover bills.  God has been giving me a never ending dose of peace through out all of this.

Life really liked to throw me a twist, along with being unemployed, my phone decided to go for a swim one day.  Well, there was no lifeguard on duty and as a result of my phones random curiosity for H20, I have now been with out a phone for a while.  When your unemployed, your phone is your lifeline to getting another job.  I've been having to steal my friends phone in order to check my voicemail of any possible interviews or job offers I may receive.  On top of that I've come down with a cold.  There was a point where it seemed every mode of entertainment that I indulge in broke in one day.  First the internet went down, then my DVD player broke, then my phone dropped in a water bucket, then the TV went out.  Thankfully I have since fixed my DVD player, the TV, and the internet is back up and running.  It was then I realized, maybe I need to spend more time with God! He's obviously trying to tell me something here.  Thing's like that don't just happen!

Through out all of this, there are only a few words that I can't seem to get out of my mind. There is a reason for the season.  I need to stop and smell the roses.   If there was one thing that I learned from my last unbearable season was that everything is a process, things don't just magically disappear or get fixed in an instance.  Smell the roses, learn from your mistakes, find what you can take out of this.  Cherish the moments you have now, and try your hardest so that through God's grace you can get through whatever life throws at you.  Otherwise things could get a lot worse.

1 comment:

  1. If you need to check any internet or anything like that let me know! I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for jobs! Good luck Kelley! You will find something-you have a great personality and job ethic!

    ReplyDelete