Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mercy Anniversary

Today marks 4 years since walking in the doors of Mercy Ministries.  I have come a long way since then.  I remember arriving in Monroe very nervous, yet extremely excited for a brand new adventure.   I knew it was what God had called me to do since there are approximately 700+ girls on the waiting list, and I only waited for 2 weeks.

Mercy Ministries is a place where girls ranging from 13-28 can go to gain back their life.  There are a variety of reasons woman give up 6 months of their lives to go there, mine happened to be an eating disorder.  Something I am not proud of, nor will I ever be.  I graduated in March 2009 a changed woman.  Life after Mercy was great! It was very hard to be back in the real world but I had my best friend by my side.  I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I wouldn't be able to live my life with out God.  He has been with me every step of the way.

It has now been 4 years so where has life taken me now? It's had the ups and downs, that's for sure.  Moments I will cherish for a lifetime, and days I wish I could forget.  It's easy to tell just by looking at me that my eating habits have not been the best.  It pains me to say that my eating disorder did not go away after I left the doors of Mercy.  A decision I would give anything to be able to take back.   It was a subtle act, my first two years I was binge free.  Little by little, it came knocking at my door again.  I've had a lot of people ask me, "So, Mercy Ministries did not work then?" or "What was the point of Mercy Ministries if you are still struggling with an eating disorder" and I have got to tell you, those words cut through my heart.  It hurts me terribly every time I hear those them, to the point where I almost want to cry.

Mercy DID work.  Mercy brought me my only chance of survival, and that is God.  Mercy Ministries taught me so much about life, people, and Christ.  I have a compassion for lost women more than I ever did before.  Life is horrid sometimes, but through Christ, we can get through it! Mercy taught me about forgiveness, love, patience, endurance, finances, health, the importance of the bible and prayer, cleaning, respect, and so much more! The list is endless.

I can honestly say that God is working on me regarding the subject of my eating disorder.  It's no longer raging ferociously, but has become a hurdle I must jump over.  I have no one to blame but myself. Christ has used Mercy Ministries to change the lives of so many hurting women, myself included.  I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to change their life around.  I am proud of my Mercy experience, and the person I have become because of it.  I thank God for Mercy Ministries.

No comments:

Post a Comment