Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Facebook No More

I've decided to do the unimaginable, at least for some.  I deactivated my Facebook account.  It's been the most relieving, most freeing 2 days of my life.  My reasons for deactivating my Facebook account were numerous.   I know you are curious as to why, so I'll explain some of my reasoning below. 


1) Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much drama. I can spend hours on Facebook and see all the status posts about how life is horrible, this person did that, this person did this, and "OMG! You are the worst friend ever, you know who you are!"  No thanks. I'm good.


2) Everyone's opinions are shoved down your throat, and if you believe otherwise, you are a "Hater".  I think everyone has gone through this, especially with the turn of events these past couple months with gay marriage, and such.  I'm sorry but both parties, no matter what they believe can be guilty of being a so called "Hater".  What happened to respecting other people's opinions? Why is it that everyone should believe what you believe, and if they don't believe what you believe, they are a horrible person.  It's all over Facebook right now and I can't stand it anymore.  I will believe what I believe, and that's that.  If you want to believe something else, that is your prerogative, but please, don't post all over Facebook saying that I'm a hater. 


3) Facebook stalks you...A lot.  I love the security measures they put into play, protecting yourself from other people looking at your Facebook.  Seems more like a diversion from the real issue, Facebook can look at your profile, use your profile information for all sorts of data and studies that suits their fancy.  Did you know, Facebook did a study where they could tell who your next significant other would be based on the amount of Facebook contact messages/posts/likes, you did with people? I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone analyzing my Facebook profile for frivolous information like that. 


4) Facebook gives out your Internet browsing history to adds.  Ever noticed how when you look at a specific site, all of the Facebook adds on your page now market that same site you looked at?  Dare you to try it.  Look at some diamond rings or something and log into Facebook.  See for yourself.  Again, I don't need Facebook giving out my browsing history to other parties. 


5) I want my time back.  These days, everyone, including myself, talks about how there is not enough time in their day.  Time is a fleeting moment, that keeps ticking no matter what you're doing. The things that you use your time for, is the time you'll never get back.  I've been feeling a lot lately that Facebook takes too much of my time.  I will admit it, I was addicted.  As I mentioned earlier in this post, I can sometimes spend hours on Facebook.  What do I have to show for it? Guilt, jealousy (Hey! I'm human!), frustration, and maybe some interesting news here and there.   Facebook consumes me, and my life is passing by.  One of these days, I'm going to wish I had that time back and used it for more valuable things.  Heck, I already do. 


So there you have it, 5 of the main reasons I gave up Facebook.  I'll tell you, there will definitely be things I will miss on Facebook. My family is spread out all over, some in different countries, some in different states, some three doors down.  Seeing pictures of my family and my adorable little nieces and nephew were what kept me on Facebook so long.  It will be hard to not have access to that.   Facebook had a great idea, but I feel like the meaning behind Facebook's creation has been slighted.


It's been a huge relief to not have Facebook anymore.  I feel like I still have some sanity left! I personally love it and don't have any plans of going back anytime soon.  I will miss you my dear friends, let's grab a coffee sometime to catch up!


P.S: For those of you who've kept up with my blog via Facebook, you'll need to follow my blog in order to get updates on new posts! Thanks for being a dedicated follower!

No comments:

Post a Comment